Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Places to Visit in Eastern Assam -- Jorhat District




Majuli is the world’s biggest riverine island and a principal place of pilgrimage for the Vaishnavites of Assam since the Ahom days. There are several Satras of Vaishnava religious creed. Of these holy seats, Auniati, Daksinpath, Garamur and Kamlabari are the four most prominent. What is of special importance is its satra establishment, consisting of separate structures, built for different purposes.

The Satras :

The Vaishnava Satras were founded by Sankardeva, the father of Assamese culture. The historic and auspicious 'Manikanchan Sanjog' was the first Satra in Majuli. Subsequently 65 satras grew which propagated the ethnic and sociocultural ideals. At present there are only 22 Satras in Majuli and rest have been shifted to other safer places due to flood and erosion. These Satras are the treasure house of 'Borgeet', Matiakhara, Jumora dance, Chali dance, Noyua dance, Nande Vringee, Sutradhar, Ozapali, Apsara dance, Satria Krishna dance, Dasavater dance etc. which were contributed by Shri Sankardeva.

Dakhinpat Satra

Dakhinpat Satra was founded by Banamalidev, an exponent of Raasleela, which is now observed as one of the State festivals of Assam.

Garamurh Satra

This Satra was founded by Lakshmikantadeva. During Autumn end traditional Raasleela is performed with great enthusiasm. Some ancient weapons are also preserved here.

Auniati Satra

Founded by Niranjan Pathakdeva, this satra is famous for 'Paalnaam' and Apsara dance and it also has considerable collection of old Assamese utensils, jewellery and handicrafts.

Kamalabari Satra

Kamalabari Satra founded by Bedulapadma Ata, is a center of art, culture, literature and classical studies. Its branch Uttar Kamalabari Satra has performed cultural programme of satria art in several states of India and abroad.

Bengenaati Satra

It is a store house of culturally important antiques and an advanced center of performing arts. Muraridev, the grand son of Shankaradeva's step mother, had founded the SSwargadeoatra. The royal robes belong to the Ahom king Swargadeo Gadadhar Singha, made of Gold and an umbrella which is also made of gold, are preserved here.


Established during 1497-1539 by saint-reformer Madhavdeb


Greatest ever Ahom General who defeated the mighty Mughals at Saraighat in 1672.


Built in 1876 by D. Slimmon, the then Secretary of the club.



On the southern side of Jorhat, near Na-ali, there is a tank popularly known as Bangalpukhari. In the month of Sravana of Saka 1739, Badan Barphukan was murdered by Rupsinghh Bangal when he was going to take bath. For this act , he was rewarded with some money which he spent in excavating this tank. The people do not use the water of this tank as it was excavated with the money received for killing a man.


Build in 1880 by Raibahadur Shiva Prasad Barooah, the first Assamese Daily Dainik Batari was started from this complex.

Burigosain devalay:

The Burigosain and the priest were brought from Jayantiya after defeating that king and were established first at Rangpur. When the capital was shifted to Jorhat, the image of Burigosain was also shifted and placed in a temple which lies in the middle of the town. It is a sakta Shrine.
Purnananda Buragohain Maidam: There is a maidam on he bank of Toklai near Macharhat which is of Purnanand Buragohain. It was constructed by his son.


Established in 1856 as Jorjat Christian School, subsequently named Theological College.
Kunwori pukhari: About two Miles east of Jorhat town near the Trunk road there is a big tank which is known as Kunwori pukhari. The grand daughter of Sataialia Dilabandha Borgohain was made the Parbatia Kunwari by king Gaurinath Sinha. The Parbatia Kunwori constructed the tank.

Garh Ali:

A big embarkment was constructed to protect the Ahom kingdom from the Moamarias and it extended from Seoni Ali to Naga hills. Having seen this, The Moamarias got bewildered and hence this came to be known as Bibuddhi Ghar.

Bilvesvar Siva Temple:

About 35 Km. North of Jorhat town by the side of South Trunk Road there lie ruins of an old and small temple, along with a tank built by Rucinath Burgohain.


At a little distance towards north of Bilveswara temple the remains of Hathigarh can be seen. The Garh was erected to capture elephants. The king decided to make a town by collecting one thousand elephants. But it was difficult to collect so many elephants. Therefore the king gave up the idea and named the place as Gazpur.

Magolu Khat:

Magolu Khat is situated about four miles west of the Jorhat town. The king Rajeshwar Sinha established the Magolus or Manipuris here after marrying Kuranganayani, the princess of Manipur at Manaimaji vilage.


King Pratap Sinha constructed a garh on the north and south to protect the kingdom. One part of this garh is called Mera garh which is Majhuli. Swalat garh is on the northern side and Ladai garh on the southern side.

Raja Maidam:

The existing maidam (vault)which lies on the south bank of Toklai river on the northern side of Jorhat town is of king Purandar Sinha who expired on 1st Oct 1894. The present maidam was constructed to preserve the ashes of the late king.

Baduli Pukahuri:

During the reign of the king Jayadhvaj Sinha a tank was excavated by Baduli Borphukan near the Trunk Road at Teok, and it was named after Baduli Borphukan.


Situated 5 K.M. from Jorhat town Borbheta is known for Assam Agriculture University, District Jail, Jorhat police Reserve and the Christian Mission Hospital.


It is a village famous for its Black smithy which caters to the demand of neighbouring tea estates and local people.

Nimati: Situated at a distnace of 17km.from Jorhat, It is an important river port of the district as well as of Upper Assam.


First tea garden of Assam established by Maniram Dewan in 1850.

List of Mediaeval Monuments Of Jorhat





SI. No. Name of the Monument Year/Period Of Construction During Whose Reign Remarks

1 Seuni Ali(A.T.Road) 1650 Swargadeo Jaydhawaz Singha Jorhat to Gowrisagar48Km.Constructed by Boduli Borphukan.

2 Dhudor Ali 1681-1695 Swargadeo Godadhar Singha Kamargaon to Joypur touching Morioni Total length 211 Km.

3 Kharikatia 1696-1714 Swargadeo Rudra Singha Kharikatia to Titabor

4 Mohbondha Ali 1795-1810 Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha Jorhat to Mohbondha

5 Kamarbandha 1795-1810 Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha Jorhat to Kamarbandha

6 Malow gohain Ali 1751-1769 Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha Desoi to Bosa

7 Susandebandha Ali 1795-1810 Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha Within Jorhat

8 Choladhora Ali 1795-1810 Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha Within Jorhat

9 Borpatra Ali 1795-1810 Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha Within Jorhat running infront of J.B.College

10. Na-Ali 1796 Swargadeo Kamaleswar Singha Jorhat to Titabor

11. Hatigar 1812-Half done 1817-completed Swargadeo Chandrakanta Singha
Constructed by Purnananda Buragohain. 5Km from Jorhat on the way to Sibsagar.


Holly Temples


SI. No. Name of the Monument Year/Period Of Construction During Whose Reign Remarks

1 Burigosani Than or Dewal 1794-1795 Garuinath Singha chandra Kt.Singha
Shifted to bank of river Bhogdoi.Now on the side of Dewal Road.

2 Garakhiadol Temple(Shiva Temple) 1714 Swargadeo Siva Singha 7 Km from Jorhat.

3. Borbheti Than (Originally moneastery) 1769-80 Swargadeo Rajeswar Singha Constructed by Muwamoria Priest Ashtabhuz, 7Km from Jorhat town.

4 Dhekiakhowa Bornamghar 1497-1539 Swargadeo Suhung Myung By the devotees of Madhavdev.




Dakhinpat Satra 1662 Swargadeo Jaidhwaj Singha

Garmur Satra 1662 Swargadeo Jaidhwaj Singha
Auniati Satra 1662 Swargadeo Jaidhwaj Singha
Kamalabari Satra 1552-1603 Swargadeo Khoraroja At Majuli river island.
Bengenati Satra 1524 Swargadeo SuhungMyung At Majuli river island.




1 Rajmow Pukhuri 1816 Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha Near Jorhat Stadium
Hatigar Pukhuri 1812-Half done 1817-completed Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha
Construction started by Purnanda Buragohain but completed by Rushinath Buragohain

3 Katoki Pukhuri 1810-1818 Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha Within Jorhat town

4 Mitha Pukhuri 1810-1818 Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha

5 Bongal Pukhuri 1819-1820 Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha Dredged by Rupsing Subedar

6 Borgohain Pukhuri 1820 Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha Dredged by Borgohain

7 Choladhora Pukhuri 1820-21 Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha Dredged by Choladhora Phukan

8 Kuwari Pukhuri 1810-1818 Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha Situated at Lichubari constructed by the queen of Garuinath Singha

9 Bolia Gohain Pukhuri 1810-1818 Swargadeo Chandra Kt.Singha At Lichubari Constructed by Dambaru Gohain alias Bolia Gohain


Burial tombs


1 Rajamaidam i)1846 Raised during British period i)Maidum of Puranadar Singha

ii)1852 Raised during British period ii)Maidum of Swargadeo Kamaswar Singha

2 Lachit Maidam Singha 1672 Swargadeo Udayaditya Singha At Hoolungapara 16 Km from Jorhat.

3 Purnananda Buragohain Maidam 1817 Chandra Kt.Singha Washed away by Bhugdoi .It was near Macharhat.




1 Ladoigarh 1603-1641 Swargadeo Protap Singha 12 Kms to the east Jorhat.

2 Deberapara Gorh 1552-1603 Swargadeo Khoraroja 30 Kms from Jorhat

3 Mohgorh 1603-1641 Swargadeo Protap Singha To the North of Jorht touching Mohuamukh

4 Borgheta gorh 1794-95 Swargadeo Gaurinath Singha From Bosha to Kaliani under Golaghat district.




1 Disoikuth(Army cantonment) 1789 Swargadeo Gaurinath Singha Purnanda Baruagohain
2 Hatigarh (Elephent trap) 1603-1641 Swargadeo Pratap Singha A pair of ramparts utilised as elephant traps.